From one of the main Ethereum clients, to Polkadot to Substrate; Parity has become exceptional at developing successful open-source blockchain projects. Their latest effort Substrate provides a framework to easily create custom blockchains. Building on cutting-edge technologies like Web Assembly, Substrate also offers automated on-chain upgrades.
We were joined by Gavin Wood, who was previously co-founder and CTO of Ethereum and founded Parity. We talked about the early Ethereum days, how Parity got started, Substrate, Polkadot and his views on on-chain governance.
Topics covered in this episode:
- The genesis story of Ethereum
- Why Gavin prefers reasoning from first principles to reading
- How Parity shunned Silicon Valley principles to build an developer-driven company
- Why they decided to work on a scalable blockchain from scratch instead of improving Ethereum
- An overview of Substrate
- The relationship between Substrate and Polkadot
- How Substrate allows switching consensus in a live blockchain
- Why Ethereum’s governance process is centralized
- Polkadot and the case for on-chain governance
- Parity Technologies Website
- Polkadot Website
- E199 - Peter Czaban - Polkadot: The Internet of Blockchain Networks
- Substrate: A Rustic Vision for Polkadot by Gavin Wood at Web3 Summit 2018
- Substrate in a nutshell
- What is Substrate?
- How Polkadot tackles the biggest problems facing blockchain innovators
- Substrate testnet launched
- Epicenter episode from 2014 with Gavin Wood about Ethereum & Ether Sale
Thank you to our sponsors for their support:
- Deploy enterprise-ready consortium blockchain networks that scale in just a few clicks. More at aka.ms/epicenter.
- Simplify your hiring process & access the best blockchain talent . Get a $1,000 credit on your first hire at toptal.com/epicenter.
This episode is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain and Meher Roy. Show notes and listening options: epicenter.tv/259